The D-Ability Initiative, together with other selected EU CSO partners benefited from capacity building programme organized by European Union, the British Council, and Agents for Citizen Driven Transformation (ACT). D-Ability Initiative and other EU-ACT partners Civil Society Organizations in Port Harcourt participated in Communication and Media Strategy training. The training lasted four consecutive days from June 29th through Friday, July 2nd, 2021, and was held at Landmark Hotel Port-Harcourt.
The main focus of this training was:
To strengthen the capacity of CSOs to confidently use their words, voice, and tone to deliver compelling messages.
To build the capacity of CSOs to understand the development and application of strategic communication and media engagement principles for effective program planning and implementation.
Some of the main points covered include:
- Communication: definitions, Elements, and types;
- Understanding the Nigerian media landscape: Print, Radio, Television, and online mass Media;
- The media tools: Press release, opinion piece, Articles/Feature, press conference;
- Media relations: how to build successful media partnerships
- Developing Social media policy and measuring impacts
- Introduction to social and behavior change communication
- Communication strategy/plan
- Communication content development: success story/case study
- Journalism and Journalists; what they are:
- Techniques for media interviews;
- Handling tough questions, Reporters ‘tricks and traps’
- Social media space, relevance, and its role in development
- Creative Brief to develop materials and effective messages.
To help CSOs understand the roles and importance of communication; including identifying appropriate channels and developing evidence-based messages and contents. And to help CSOs monitor and evaluate the contributions of the media
engagements and communication in the overall impact of their programmes. D-Ability Initiative led some group works and presented during plenary sessions.
In Attendance were the President of D-Ability Initiative Dr. K.U Nwanyanwu and Media Engagement Officer Miss Faith Abeyi.